Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A better calling?

I need to stop browsing artistic websites. Mainly deviantArt, but a few others come to mind. Whenever I see poor, shoddy work -- whether it be the victim of a lazy artist or they just didn't know better -- I feel compelled to help and let them know what can be improved and, more importantly, how.

So, which is the better path? Focus that effort into improving my own crafts, or continue to help where I see the need? I hate seeing lazy work. Edges of subjects "magic wanded" away, careless selections before major filters are run, poor blending, bad photography technique, etc. It's very frustrating. Card tricks with no decent patter, shitty sleight of hand, stealing jokes (not just that, but usually BAD, UNFUNNY jokes seems to be more common), and worst of all: blatant stealing of entire effects with no changes or credit to the originator. I know it's rampant -- and there is nothing I can do to eliminate it... but it really pisses me off.

However (there's always a however), part of me wants to not say a single thing and just use that as motivation to keep all of my material top-notch and more unique than most. Greedy? I think so. But at least I feel like I should do something...

Any thoughts?